Wednesday, May 7

be my HERO

Like everything you bite your nails waiting for, this year's Costume Institute gala at the MET left me quite disappointed. Just like when you walk out of a well-named restaurant feeling full yet unsatisfied. I can't say whether my disappointment is caused by the lack of originality or risk choosing gowns or by the very few attendants who actually took into consideration the gala's theme —Superheroes.
Only my darling Anna Wintour and fashion-sprout Christina Ricci were able to bring together the theme yet pull of an extremely glamorous look at once. The boss of bosses in a Chanel Haute Couture words cannot manage to describe; the latter, in a wonderful Givenchy loaded with gauze, showing a heart through. Just magnificent.

However, it can not be said there was nothing that caught the eye. I believe the best way of giving the Superhero theme a go was by including loads of crazy colours in your outfit, no matter how you did it. Kate Bosworth did it with sequins made in Chanel HC, models Coco Rocha and Anja Rubik did colour trusting one of its masters —Pucci, and Zac Posen and Co. ruled the night in the brightest shades of blue and yellow.

Additionally, I am particular fond of these three picks. I was literally astonished when I first came to see Katie Holme's Armani utterly packed with red sequins and coped with blinding-blue Louboutins. A crazy choice, perhaps, but one that I adore. To her right is GG's latest addition, Michelle Trachtemberg, in a very rich version of a greek goddess by YSL. Not so much Superhero-ish, but beautiful all the same. Last in the picture is designer Max Azria, a gentleman I now admire for this obvious but unconventional way of proving how easy it was to stick to the theme of the event.

I was particularly happy to find several very elegant-looking gentlemen who put their trust on those who master the art of suits and tuxedos to dress them that night. They are Marcus Wainwright and David Neville (from Rag & Bone) in "themselves", Jason Lewis in Dolce & Gabbana, Chace Crawford in Calvin Klein Collection, and Steve Colb in a grey suit whose designer I long to know.

Last, the biggest disappointments of the night. First, the Olsens. Ashley and Mary-Kate managed to look good in their Diane von Furstemberg's but due to the high standards they've set for themselves, we can't but be completely bored. And, seriously, why is it that Ash looks like a sexy grown-up woman while MK looks like a haggard goblin!?! On second place, another disappointment was Ms. Rachel Bilson who not only got it terribly wrong with the gown but also with the hair. What a mess! That Calvin Klein looks like a hybrid between a mermaid costume and a Michael Phelps swimsuit.


- Your thoughts?

[Picture credits: JustJared, Style.com and GossipGirls]

I'm off.

PS. Comments will be answered shortly. I am loaded with work!! AH!!

22 comments:

zoeeeee said...

MK definitely got ragged on for that dress. i love it.

Héloïse J. said...

i luved ash's dress. magnificen but not sure if it was the right one for that night.. and kate moss was a stunner/ luved luved the look she chose.

in general i'm quite disappointed as well!

María said...

MK needs to work on her posture!

atelier said...

I agree Bilson was horrible, the hair, the dress... everything looks not right. Olsen's... well, I like their dresses, but not MK hair... My favourite was Ricci, and I definetely didn't like Katie Holmes orange face, and those shoes with that dress... I didn't like the long of teh dress, and the shoes... but the worst was Posh, of course. Gisele looked stunning

atelier said...

BTW, book is amazing, I love T. Wolfe!

riz said...

ok, i KNEW a great post on this was coming from you!! I have to say I agree with most of your pix. My faves were wintour, bosworth, rocha and ricci of the ones you've put on here...

Winnie said...

What happened to MK?? I'm suprised with Bilson, she usually gets it so right! Entertaining post as always!

Lluviaschick said...

agree with u... no superheroes... the only ones making a small effort were wintour and ricci... although it can be improved!
btw,in general the gala was a disaster in terms of elegance... my only choice is eugenia silva in armani prive. she looked gorgeous

Mary-Laure said...

I totally agree: Wintour's dress was the best by far!

Ray TETAUIRA said...

what about gisele !!?
she was from my point of view very superhero-model no ?!!
so tall and slim !! she's definitely back and looked stunnin !!

annie said...

:)
thanks!
(L) Blake Lively
(L) gossip girl

Winnie said...

Haha, LCF is like in the best place ever, definitely a fashion hotspot! I want to go there to do an MA or Graduate certificate in Fashion Marketing eventually...what are you going to be studying? It's so exciting but I feel sorry for your poor poor credit card (or what will be left of it!!)

Rebecca, The Clothes Horse said...

I loved this theme! Some did disappoint and others did not. Am I the only who really liked MK's look?

Coco's Tea Party said...

I love Chrsitina Ricci
she looks AMAZING!!!!!
And I understand your feelings on being behined with comments, I am too. It's a horrible feeling!

Coco's Tea Party said...

Oh and Anna wasn't in my post on this becuase when I did put it up it gave my blog a virus and took away my sidebar
so Anna had to go hahahaha

Thomas said...

Good god the Olsens are a trainwreck. They're like the movie Twins come to life.

Christina Ricci looks amazing.

bronwyn said...

Anna W looks like she just arrived from another planet - may be the new series of Battle Star Gallactica;) Have a fab weekend, and come visit me soon, we'll do tea and macaroons in cyberspace:)

Ashleigh said...

Not digging Mary Kate's look ....Ashley looks great!

Ashleigh said...

Ive just added you to my links too =) Looking forward to seeing more from you!

EvaAmarri said...

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen were really disappointing. Rachel and horrible hair

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

wonderful found up, christina ricci was the best dressed. she looked so good I wanted to eat her up like a heart candy. Only anna could pull off a chanel dress like this!

hannah said...

my favorites were kate mara and zac posen. they looked amazing together, and she looked gorgeous.