Thursday, August 14

ORANGE is the new pink

It takes time and good effort to kick a king colour out but, above all, it takes a bored audience in need of a fresher proposition. And this is the case of good ol’ pink. It has been one of the key hues for decades, predominating in fashionistas’ and self-proclaimed girly girls’ wardrobes. But the time always comes when change calls for itself and we can’t but applaud. Orange is quickly catching up taking advantage of pink’s decadence. The occurrence of such a change could not go unnoticed on the red carpet. Have a look at the innovative celebrities who took a risk when the process was only starting out.


Sophia Bush and Victoria Beckham were two of the first ones who dared to cover their skin with the bold colour. They both went for simple cuts and subtle draping and accessories that didn’t get much attention away.

American indie princess Kristen Dunst also chose a very simplistic silhouette in a darker shade and accompanied it with white retro accessories. Cameron Diaz found a very sexy short dress in a dark orange as well. In her case cuteness in brought into the picture by a decreasing line of ruffles.

Gucci’s resort 2009 collection introduced orange in responsible doses to a major part of the collection. It was this maxi dress, however, that is almost an homage to the new king colour. Natasha Poly wore it to Gucci’s 70th Anniversary with her hair down, as did Blake Lively also showcasing her golden threads.

The last famous portrayer of the latest popular colour has been Maggie Gyllenhaal, who wore a beautifully laced and semi-see-through dress that definitely matched her adorable green eyes. Are we looking at the next style transformation à la Gwyneth?

[Picture credits: JustJared and Style.com]

It’s great to be back!
I’m off.

PS. Comments will be answered during the next few days. Thanks again for keeping on coming back.

24 comments:

Mia said...

hmmm.. I always have to think about what Elle Woods said... :)

Myriam said...

Orange is such a good colour when it comes to dresses. Blake looks amazing in that dress, I wish I could do that dress like her!

it's an addiction. said...

cam diaz looks gorgeous.
i def think i darker orange is the safer way to go.

im not sure i could pull it off....

nice post!

xoK

WendyB said...

Orange is always so fresh-looking.

Ashleigh said...

Correction: PINK that is! haha

Ashleigh said...

I love Maggie =) so sweet....but Orange is one color I don't think I pull off well :s..i'll stick with pick :P

Sarah Mendelsohn said...

I like orange, I'm glad it's showing up more in fashion. great post!

erin de la cruz said...

Welcome back, Inaki! Anyway, I just don't know if the color orange will match my skin tone. I am darker than the darkest brown..

Ray TETAUIRA said...

god u'r takin risks sayin orange is the new pink ! but the example of natasha poly in gucci or maggie in prada is just awesome !! but im not sure about that new trend

Paula Sexy Beast said...

Thank the heavens!!!! U kno I totally hate pink, there is not one spec of that hideous colour in my closet. For years its been everywhere, and Im super glad that it is finally gone!!!!
Hello Orange, good-bye for good Pink

Henri said...

I used to love orange, until it became the new pink. :P

But anyway, I used to write for henrihouse.blogspot.com but i forgot the email and password i used for it. haha. So I have a new blog now. Please make sure to check it out.

New Blog: henrilush.blogspot.com

Rebecca, The Clothes Horse said...

Colors do phase out fast!

atelier said...

Blake looks like a pregnant woman if you see Natasha Poly wearing the same thing just next to her...
I like orange, but not head-to-toe orange...

Juliet said...

Oh they look great in the colour. But I think I'm too scared to even try.

juliet xxx

hila said...

Why does Victoria always scare me?

Great post :)

Winnie said...

I love orange but you definitely have to be careful and match the shade to your own colouring. Such a fun colour!

ZuKi said...

You haven't surprised me with these "orange news":I bought orange dress even in the beginning of this summer:)))
It is just "intuition and stylishness":))

Libbi said...

Wow, I neva thought of orange before.
I t
look amazing on the celebs,
I really <3 the Gucci orange dresses.
Libbi
x

Sydneydoll said...

orange can look good or awful.
depends on skin tone and the rest of your outfit.

alluretone said...

all of these ladies wear them wonderfully. but im surprised at how good the orange looks on victoria.

Audrey Leighton said...

i love this shade of orange, its like a pink for the more refined woman. xxxx

thanks for your comment, will link you now. love your blog logo too, sienna is my fashion icon, i loveee her! xxxxxxx

www.frassy-audrey.blogspot.com

Anqui said...

Congrats with the post :)

Orange rocks...

Still... Am I the only one who thinks the orange Cam wears is hiddeous?

TheSundayBest said...

You can't go wrong with orange and grey...except several companies seem to have noticed this with their branding.

B L O G H E R said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE i just went to the Luella show in LA and there was a lot of orange!!