Monday, March 1

italian cubism

March is a month that makes me happy. My birthday and the start of the spring coincide halfway through the month and that means I can start stocking up on items for the new season. This is why this morning I decided to post about one of my favourite collections so far —Consuelo Castiglioni's Marni. Nothing could be more glorious than a sunny London morning with a cup of coffee, Mozart's operas on the background, and Casteglioni's creations to behold.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Having a longer and closer look at the collection earlier this morning, a certain piece of art suddenly popped into mind. I see Marni as the clothing equivalent of Picasso's cubist reinterpretation of Las Meninas by Velázquez. Drawing similarities between Casteglioni and Picasso might be a daring thing to do, some might argue, but their creative processes are not afar. Just as Pablo, Consuelo has used staples and reinvented them by means of shape and colour. Like cubism, Marni is not apt for amateurs, it requires years of close scrutiny and appreciation. Are you a Marni acolyte?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
[Pictures: Style.com]
I'm off.

2 comments:

Juliet said...

I also believed we were on each other lists :D. I think Marni's collection was genious!

juliet xxx

Coco's Tea Party said...

I love Marni. And I don't really have any Oscar predicitions, although I guess Colin Firth will wear Tom Ford.... xxx