Friday, December 17

Fit for a Queen?

I promise this is not the first of many royal wedding-oriented posts. I'm not crazy about this kind of events. However, the fact that WWD devoted one of this week's issues to try and figure out what Kate Middleton will wear made me feel like the topic might have the fashion credentials to appear on the blog. Everyone from Lagerfeld and Valentino to Angela Missoni and Peter Copping have sent their wedding dress suggestions to the famous magazine. And here I thought a British royal would have to wear a British designer... How amazing would it be if she wore a white trench with a trail by Christopher Bailey? Haha. Personally, I wouldn't find it outrageous if she would actually go for Chanel or Valentino. They've both shown innovative takes on the wedding dress on their last Haute Couture collections. Kaiser Karl suggests a Victorian inspiration but I dare to disagree. I feel like Kate Middleton epitomises the contemporary unfussy royal who'd never wear a cape or a crown and who'd wear lots of Céline. I could, however, easily picture her in one of Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Piccioli's HC wedding options. Perhaps something halfway between their minimal take and Garavani's slightly whimsical design.
RoyalWeddingWWD

I was especially surprised by two of the other designs inside the WWD royal issue. I'm not sure whether it was Frida Giannini who sketched Gucci's wedding dress. If she did, I am disappointed by how boring and slightly amateur it looks. Although there is something somehow interesting about the very minimal design, which looks like it would suit Kate perfectly. The other surprise, a more pleasant one, was Peter Copping's option chez Nina Ricci. I love the idea of layers of slightly ruffled materials with a gap halfway down (maybe lace) and the fussier top. It seems extraordinary enough for a world-relevant event  yet somewhat subtle for a usually quite adorn-oriented brand.
RoyalWeddingWWD2
If I had to vote for one of the designs right now I would most probably vote for Valentino Garavani's design. Which one would you vote for? See the rest here.
I'm off.

[Pictures: WWD.com, Style.com]

2 comments:

Cupcake said...

Happy it's not my decision!
Cupcake

Juliet said...

Royals have worn wedding dress from outside their own countries, Dior has been the choice by many. But I have a feeling that Kate will stick with the traditions pretty much, as .. well, you might know :). And in that case it's shoulders hidden, long sleeves, incredible trail and jewels from the royal safe. But of course, we can always dream.

juliet xxx