Tuesday, March 1

Born this way

Lady Gaga's music videos have become a bit of a thing inside the fashion/creative industry. We look forward to what Nicola Formichetti will do for her in terms of styling. I have to say that this time I was neither amazed nor surprised by the clothes. Yes, it all is incredibly visually pleasing but I think it has a lot more to do with Nick Knight's direction than with the clothes (accessories, hair, mae up et al.) than any other thing. I did really like the 'Born this way' video because not only I quite like the song but it also had some very McQueen references such as the kaleidoscope imagery, which Lee used for his prints in the famous collection worn by Gaga on 'Bad Romance'. I also found pretty cool the fact that Raquel Zimmerman (below, duplicated) does a little cameo.
Screen shot 2011-02-28 at 23.40.13
Screen shot 2011-02-28 at 23.36.15
Screen shot 2011-02-28 at 23.36.20
Screen shot 2011-02-28 at 23.36.12
My second favourite thing, and probably the most expected part of it was the heavy presence of Thierry Mugler fw11 menswear, as it was the first collection to be designed by Formichetti (he is clearly the creative director, not the designer. Alas, no one has yet coined a term such as 'creatively directed'). I thought it worked just great with the video and, after all, Nicola is becoming known for trespassing the boundaries of roles and becoming a bit of everything —stylist, creative director, entrepreneur, media expert. I was also happy to see Rico, who was the star of the Mugler fw11 show and kind of stole a bit of Gaga's spotlight on the video.
Screen shot 2011-02-28 at 23.39.47 1
Screen shot 2011-02-28 at 23.42.03
As I said, the photography in the video is absolutely phenomenal, as it could be expected from Knight. And this might just be me but were there some James Bond and Sin City references? I loved the black and white shots as much as the very plastic coloured ones and the intro and finale as a clear nod to Pink Floyd. You can watch the video here.
Screen shot 2011-02-28 at 23.37.37 1
Screen shot 2011-02-28 at 23.35.40
I'm off.

[Pictures: Vevo screencaps]

1 comment:

Atlanta Roofing said...

Gaga is gonna rules 2011 again. This is just A-MA-ZING! Back to old School Pop Song