Wednesday, March 16

TITLE11
After all the mystery and fuss built up around Tom Ford's first collection for women I expected something else from his first advertorial campaign. I haven't been able to find much else other than this huge billboard in LA but it seems to go in line with his perfume ads. Once again, he has both shot and modelled for the campaign alongside Abbey Lee, one of my favourite models of the moment (how amazing does she look on the Versace campaign?). I like about the image that is has that kind of 60's/70's glamour that Tom is famous for portraying. I love the pose because it's a lot more dynamic than the boring straight-up ones we usually see everywhere else and I think the choice of dress is perfect for advertising because it sums up the feel of the collection. However, I am still confused about designers starring in their own campaigns (Mar Jacobs, hello?), especially when there isn't an artistic or commercial reason for it. I much preferred shots like the first ones we saw of the collection in the December 2010 issue of American Vogue. They read very well on print and I loved that it was Steven Meisel that captured them with his eye for detail and close attention to styling. So I almost wished the campaign was exactly like the picture below. The palm trees and the quintessential LA street would've made a good point of modern day glamour, no?
37241-800w
I'm off.

[Picture: Models.com]

No comments: