Tuesday, May 3

TITLEMET2011
MG1
It has been an intense weekend for the fashion world. First it was the Royal Wedding on Friday and last night the fashion equivalent of the Oscars (or the red carpet anyway), the Met Gala, took over New York City. This year they celebrated the opening of the "Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty" exhibition.
This year I expected a lot of dramatic gowns with big trains and also a lot of feathers. And I was right to do so, at least the first part. Despite Daphne Guiness' big feather McQueen number (she always looks so great it's hard to be surprised anymore) and Sarah Jessica Parker's chic number also by the designer I would have to say it was Giselle Bünchen who wore the brand best. The tight body and pleated big skirt made this a moment we hadn't seen since the old Valentino days.
My other favourite was Diane Kruger in Jason Wu. She is one of the chicest women in Hollywood and it's a pleasure to see her wearing something that's not white or Chanel. The embellished top made jewellery unnecessary and the mad side slit on the skirt adds a sexy edge balanced by the long sleeves.


[JustJared, Style.com, Zimbio.com]
MG4
Funnily enough, it is at these kinds of events that fashion insiders get less attention because of all of the celebrity attendees. That is why it's hard to even find nice pictures of them to post.
Lily Donaldson, in Erdem, and Mariacarla Boscono, in Givenchy HC, looked ravishing. I always say no one can compete with a model in terms of fashion. I love the fact that they know how much see-through they can get away with and they take advantage of that. Lily looked very classy in the navy lace, a perfect look to go with her new marital status. And Mariacarla channeled Morticia Adams for the hair and make-up adding that big of Goth that Tisci loves in his clothes.
Giovanna Battaglia, NYC's newest neighbour, wore Marni to accompany Consuelo Castiglioni. I am in awe of this glamourous 60's look. You know I adore both her and the brand and every time the two get mixed they achieve perfection.
MG2






I don't care what people say about Anna Wintour, I think she's got great taste. Year after year she slips and yet another incredible Chanel HC dress, which is what she deserves to wear. I found this year's number quite cool for Anna, though. The colours and the art deco feel of the sequins made it a youthful look that really suited her. And I loved the fact that she added diamonds into the mix anyway.
I might've not liked Blake Lively's Chanel as much if I hadn't been bracing myself for a big disappointment. I have to admit she looked stunning and must've made Kaiser Karl very proud. I still haven't seen her carrying one of those fugly Mademoiselle handbags she advertises, though.
I guess people just invite Thandie Newton because she always looks great. I absolutely loved the way her Stella McCartney dress played with the sheerness of the pleated skirt, the black lace and the nude touch of the underskirt.
MG3








Less dramatic or surprising but beautiful nonetheless were Gwyneth Paltrow, in a bejewelled Stella McCartney, Miranda Kerr in Marchesa and Zoe Saldana in Calvin Klein Collection.
I am especially shocked by how much into Miranda's look I am. There is something so obviously Black Swan about the dress (Mila Kunis would've looked amazing in this) but the fact that she wore the Nicholas Kirkwood lace-ups makes everything interesting. It's the red carpet equivalent of someone wearing a tutu skirt with converse, just genius!

No comments: