Monday, February 27

Best Dressed at the 2012 Academy Awards
Oscars2012a
Best Dressed at the 2012 Academy Awards
Getty
This year's red carpet seemed to be a lot more subtle than last year's, which is exactly what I said a year ago. We saw little drama but a lot of elegance, so I am happy.
My three absolute winners are Rooney Mara in Givenchy Couture, Michelle Williams in Louis Vuitton and Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford. All three dresses were stunning, unique and very simple. It was all about the details – the slickness of white, the layers of chiffon, the play with textures. They are three of my all-time favourites so I was thrilled so see them look so beautiful, especially Gwyneth who wasn't even nominated!
My two big surprises of the night were Jessica Chastain in Alexander McQueen and Tina Fey in Carolina Herrera. The first because I felt like she hadn't quite found her style until now (and I loved the hair) and the second because she had 'it' but hasn't been too successful showing it in the past – Fey was the epitome of elegance last night.
Natalie Portman and Sandra Bullock were a bit hit and miss for me because even though they looked really pretty, they failed to have that something that makes a look Oscar-worthy. In the case of Natalie's vintage Dior I think it was the overly simple silhouette and informal pattern, and in Bullock's case it was the odd fit of her Marchesa that didn't feel age appropriate.
Oscars2012b
Getty

No comments: