Thursday, August 9

Lady Gaga covers the September issue of American Vogue
VogueUSSept12
Lady Gaga covers the September issue of American Vogue
TFS
I was so shocked when I saw the September cover of American Vogue this morning. At first, I thought it was just fan art – someone had photoshopped Lady Gaga's face, the September cover star, onto a dress and added some copy around it. After checking Vogue.com I realised I was in the wrong, this was the actual cover.
I don't know quite where to begin. Let's start with the only two good things about the cover, perhaps. It has a very contemporary feel that American Vogue has been missing for a while now. And the layout is a lot cleaner than it usually is, there is no feeling of clutter. But everything else is all over the place.
The Mert & Marcus cover image is so incredibly retouched I am still wondering whether any of the body we see belongs to Gaga or if they have just photoshopped her face onto it. The highlights and shading have been done in such an amateur way it's embarrassing. As is the crappy red waving banner on the Vogue title. Not only it doesn't make any sense aesthetically but the unnatural colour takes away from the effect that the purple gown should have instead.

What do you think of the cover?

1 comment:

Anoud said...

I completely agree with you. I was shocked to see that this actually was the cover. So disappointing that they messed up this badly on such an iconic issue!