Wednesday, November 17

Gossip Girl Fashion: "The Witches of Bushwick"

Before I start with this week's Gossip Girl shenanigans let me apologise (even though it's not my fault at all) for the lack of fashion in a section with that word in it. Eric Daman's fun work seems to have evaporated from the show and I can't help but pay more attention to other matters. I do promise to appropriately report anything relevant (there's a small but cool fashion moment coming up). And, once again, let me warn you: there might be spoilers if you read on. Blah, blah.
Now, episode 9 was a little dull. I mean, a lot of things happen with everyone but nothing we haven't seen before. I didn't even get my favourite opening breakfast scene this time. But what we got instead was quite hilarious. Eric and his boyfriend make a diagram about Serena's choice between Dan and Nate. It's a real shame we don't get to see more of it because if you read it closely on the screen caps there is a lot of work that has gone into it for no apparent reason.
gg1
I have missed Lily a lot! Ever since she and Rufus made up we rarely get to see much of her, which is a shame because I loved her the most (I have a thing for older sophisticated women). This week she gets back in the bitchy zone at a meeting with Serena's Columbia dean. Definitely one of the highlights of the episode.
Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 18.19.54
My worst nightmare has finally become a reality with Jenny and Juliet teaming up to take down Serena (if we got a nickel for every time we've heard that line...). Jenny's look is quite honestly atrocious and the back of her hair do absolutely escapes me. But it's Juliet that has begun to really disturb me. Not only she makes this creepy boards with clippings of everyone claiming she just likes "visual aids" but she goes completely mental at the masquerade later on the show. First, Jenny and her come out of a taxi in matching 'Eyes Wide Shut' outfits and then she takes it off after which she put on this mask looking like a lacy version of Hannibal Lecter's (Serena would never wear that!).
Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 18.23.08
juliet
However, I did like the scene where Serena is trying to get into Chuck's hotel masquerade party and the bouncer say she can't. It's kind of funny, specially if any of you have been or have seen anyone in that situation. She sort of handles it with grace.
Serena also steals the best and worst fashion moment of this week's episode. She attends the party in a beautiful Carolina Herrera dress (the designer's name mispronounced by Gossip Girl), which helps to finish the episode with a good fashion note. It's the beginning's all-studded-and-sparkle ensemble with the rib tights and the asymmetric ankle boots that gets a big big miss.
Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 18.27.13
serena
Just like any other week, the boys don't get up to much. Eric wears the best outfit to the masquerade party —a sartorial version of a Julius Cesar toga and laurel crown.
Dan and Nate have they buddy-buddy moment of the week. This time they still don't look at each other much but they play some indoors mini-bascket ball, which is, I guess, a step forward.
Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 18.29.44
Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 18.20.36
Watching this episode I realised how much of a bored life-less weirdo Gossip Girl has to be. She keeps getting her pictures (and video!) much faster than normal and it takes her mere minutes to edit them in pretty layouts before sending them as blasts. She definitely needs a shrink.
Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 18.28.58
Regardless of everything else, Bluck keep stealing the show every week. Chuck has been my idol and role model from the beginning of the show but he just keeps getting better. Blair and him have a phone conversation while they both get pedicures. I not only think the scene is genius but I find that Chuck still looks ridiculously cool with one foot up.
They also had their mandatory torrid pre-sex scene and a later romantic one. I found very useful that Blair's dress easily opens like that from the front and I found her underwear terribly sexy. I'm starting to like her more than Serena... It was only too bad they couldn't end the show with that magnificent kiss scene where they both match the colour of the room.
Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 18.24.01
Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 18.24.03
Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 18.25.25
Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 18.28.37
I'm off.

[Pictures: Screen caps, gossipgirlfashion.net]

No comments: