Sunday, September 25

Beyoncé launches ‘House of Dereon’ at LFW
HouseofDereonSS12
Un Dandy en el Bazaar / Getty
Last Saturday I was lucky enough to be invited to the show that Beyoncé and her mother Tina Knowles to present their first collection for 'House of Dereon'.
At first, when my friend told me about the event I didn't have much idea of what exactly I was going to. We walked into Selfridge's parking lot, which had been transformed into an all-black runway space surrounded by huge screens.
The wait, of about an hour, was worth it. The collection's main influence was Africa, as homage to Beyoncé's roots. The feathers, animal prints and tribal patterns and makeup that gave live to the collection contrasted with the very short dresses and skirts or street wear tops usually seen on the New York runways. It was a very Beyoncé clothing line, a cultural crossroads that brought together her two main influences. She ticked all the right boxes for summer clothing: printed jumpsuits and playsuits, sheer skirts, simpler but sexy mini dresses for the night, and heaps of loose tops black basics.
The models walked down the runway to the beat of a remix of 'Run the World (Girls)', of course. I was hoping for  an impromptu chorus by Queen B but there was no luck. And yet, I can't complain because I had the pleasure of sitting front row rubbing shoulders with Hamish Bowles.




No comments: