Wednesday, August 24

Fashion 2 in 1- The bejewelled dress
bejewelleddressesFW11
From right: Chanel, Ralph Lauren, Aquilano Rimondi and Lanvin F/W 2011
Style.com
I first realised this was a mini-trend a couple of weeks ago while watching Project Runway. Nina Garcia was wearing this stunning Lanvin black mini dress from the FW11 collection and it struck me how incredible the big brooch at the front was. I also noticed that Nina wasn't wearing any other accessories (apart from shoes, haha).
I remembered a lot of embellished tops at the FW11 Ralph Lauren collection –one of my favourites in years. And so I looked at a few of the collections to find how other designers had approached this 'bejewelled dress' trend.
My first instinct was to revisit Ralph and Lanvin, where I found a handful of other options, all of which included some sort of intricate detail at the top front of the dress. Probably the chicest option. Then I headed to Chanel because, well, Karl tends to do this a lot. For FW11 he included the jewellery pieces in the geometric forms of the top of his dresses, which were somewhat Byzantine.
I found a different take from Aquilano Rimondi, who has instead used his jewel detailing around hemlines and the seams. A very Italian point of view, which makes me think instantly of those infamous Valentino heels.

No comments: